Sunday, August 31, 2014

Some things I've noticed so far....

There are so many misconceptions and interesting things about Taiwan.  First, I was told that I would not be able to find certain items here so to ship a bunch of things over.  I have found pretty much everything here that I could ever want.  I may have to hunt for it a bit (like mayo) but I find it.  I was told that finding bread would be a problem.  Puhleeze!  There's a French bakery in my neighborhood. I have found unscented lotions, cheese, peanut butter, Corn Flakes and many more things.  I understand shipping medications like ibuprofren and sudafed here because I wouldn't recognize or be able to read the box even if I found it, but everything else?  Buy it here.

I have seen few people smoke here.  All restaurants are non-smoking and I have yet to see a cigarette butt on the ground.

There is a lot of gender equality here.  I've seen both men and women doing jobs like construction, teaching, building maintenance, etc.

The food isn't only about vegetables....it's more about the meat and every part of the animal. We pretty up the names of cuts of meat in the states so they sound more appetizing - pork loin, sirloin, hanger steak.  Here, they call it like it is - pig cheek, brain and duck blood.

China is known for it's tea and Taiwan is no exception.  The tea here is fantastic.  I may not be able to find English Breakfast very easily but they make the most amazing tea drinks that I wish we could find in the states.  My favorite, green tea, lightly sweetened with a whole pink grapefruit juiced right in it and served cold.  No ice.  They give you a wide straw to suck up all of the pulp...it's like having a drink and a snack all in one.  Delicious!

You can't drink the water at all in Taiwan.  The water has all of these heavy metals in it and you see it as hard water stains everywhere in your bathroom and sink.  I get water delivered and it costs less than $2 for a five gallon container and they bring it right to my door.  I just leave the money and empty water containers outside my door and it's there the next day.  They never serve you water in a restaurant unless you specifically ask for it because they have to use bottled water.

Cab drivers really know their way around and when they say they will be there in 5 minutes, they are there in 3. When they come to any stop, they shift into park and often put the emergency brake on too. They do this each and every time they come to a stop. So far, this has happened with every cab ride I've taken.

People have an image of Taiwan as being ugly and polluted with trash strewn everywhere. I'm sure some parts of the city can be but there is an incredible wealth of natural and architectural beauty here.  There is art in statues, sculptures and even in how the sidewalks are laid out all over the place.  I have faced very little pollution so far and I'm amazed by the beauty of this city each and every day.

And finally, Taiwanese people are so friendly.  I get smiled at and bowed to at some point each and every day.  People yell "Hello" out of their cars and from passing scooters.  I feel safe no matter where I walk and at whatever time of day or night I travel through the city.

I can't wait for people to visit so I can share this experience with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment