Friday, August 1, 2014

Interesting things I have noticed about Taiwan so far....

1. Garbage trucks play music.  You hear it at night as they go around picking up trash.  It's like having an ice cream truck go by.

2.  There is a squatter area near and behind the school that the city is trying to take care of and relocate the residents. The problem is that many of the people living there have be there for 3 generations. When you see the conditions it's amazing that they can live like that but there is no crime and everyone is so friendly when you walk by.

3.  I've walked around my neighborhood and around the area in the morning, during the day and at night.  I have felt completely safe each and every time.  Other than the whole "staring" thing, I feel comfortable walking around.

4.  It's so hot here people take their kids for a walk at night.  Tonight, on my way home, I saw so many families taking their kids out.  It's just too damned hot during the day!

5.  There are dogs everywhere that just wander around.  They cross the busy highways and streets and somehow they don't get hit.

6.  The driving is crazy.

7.  Everyone here works so hard and they are so helpful.  There is construction everywhere in my neighborhood - lots of new buildings going up.  They have torn down an entire building across the street since I've been here.  They start at 8:00 a.m. and go until 6:00 p.m.  Even at school they are so helpful and go above and beyond.  Two tech people came over tonight and finally got my internet going.  They didn't have to do that on a Friday night but they did.

8.  When you call for a cab, they give you a time of arrival and cab number.  They are there promptly and are always dressed in a collared shirt and often a tie.  The cabs are clean and there is no barrier between you and the driver.  It's also incredibly cheap.  For me to get to school it costs $3.  To the airport, which is about a 20 minute drive, it costs about $10.

9.  Taiwanese people are incredibly curious and want to know about you.  They ask lots of questions and are so excited if you show any interest in learning the language, culture and foods.  I told a few people that I wanted them to help me learn Mandarin and to correct me if I say it incorrectly. They have taken that to heart and do so with such kindness and humor.

10.  People walk around with an umbrella to protect themselves from the sun.  I love that and I have done it each and every day.  Sunscreen can only do so much, especially when you sweat half of it off before you get to the end of the block.

11.  Finally, so many things are inexpensive here.  For example, I decided I wanted to get cable for the tv.  I'm living alone and I have my issues with insomnia.  Being able to watch some tv is a nice way to deal with an empty apartment late at night when I can't sleep.  I was told it was expensive.  I asked, "How expensive?"  $500 NTD per month.  Are you kidding me?!  $500 NTD is basically less than $17 a month.  I'll take it!  Groceries are much less expensive than the states and so are basic necessities. Come on, $30 for a root canal!?  Although there have been some expenses I didn't expect, I know I'll be able to save quite a bit of money living here.

Overall, this is such an incredible country and I just got here and have so much to explore.  Thanks for joining me on my journey as I discover more.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing so much Nancy. Have you made friends with any of your neighbors people who aren't affiliated with the school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I haven't met many people in the building at all, considering it's a huge complex.most don't speak English anyway. I did meet an older gentleman while I was waiting for a cab who had lived in New York for 40 years. We spoke for a few minutes. My fellow teacher and partner will be living in the same complex. That will be nice.

    ReplyDelete