Saturday, August 2, 2014

Other interesting things I've noticed.....

When cab drivers stop at a red light, they put the car in park and then shift to drive when the light turns green. Happens EVERY time.

There are signs, posters, advertisements and billboards everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE!


Meat is served more than anything else. Some I recognize, some not so much. They use every part of the animal, which is great, but sometimes you're not quite sure what part you are eating.

Drinks are really sweet here. When I asked for unsweetened tea, I got less sweet tea, which is like southern iced tea in the states. I don't want to know what the regular tea tastes like. Even sparking water is sweet, mostly fruit flavored. Most iced teas have some kind of fruit muddled in them and, although incredibly sweet, they are delicious.

Juice here is mostly watermelon juice, so delicious, or mango or papaya. It's mango season here so I'm taking advantage of that. I've eaten one every day.

There is food served around every corner and pretty much on every street. Whether it's a restaurant or opened to the street buffet or one person with a kettle or wok on the side of the road, you can always find something to eat and well into the night.

There is a 7-11 store within a few minutes walk from any place in the city. It's where you pay bills, get your phone card, get supplies and pretty much manage your life.

It is a cash society here. They don't take cards anywhere other than a local bank card at a grocery store or department store so you need to carry cash at all times.  I even got my first months pay all in cash. It will be direct deposited from now on but it's an impressive stack of cash. Each $1000 bill is worth about $33 US.




No comments:

Post a Comment