Sunday, August 10, 2014

Ahhhhhhh!


First day of school!  I'm usually a little nervous the first few days....new students, new behaviors, new expectations, new curriculum....but today feels like the first day I taught school.  I spent many hours this weekend planning the week ahead and even making plans for next week because I'll be coming back to the states for a few days so I have to write sub plans for 5 days.  Crazy right!?  I also haven't taught middle school before so there are many different expectations...new technology, developing a syllabus for each subject I teach (really?!  I have never written a syllabus in my life), whole new language where basically every student I have, except for a handful, are English Language Learners.  To top it all off, there are two principals at my school and I am teaching both of their children.  

So, I've been up since 2:00 a.m.  The thunder and lightning didn't help and I just couldn't get back to sleep.  I got up at 2:30, after realizing sleep was not going to happen, and I've been working on my introduction to students for each subject and class. Also made some additions/changes to my classroom blog that I'll be sending out this week.  Luckily, one of my middle school teammates sent me a copy of his syllabus for pre-algebra.  I almost cried I was so relieved to be able to see one in action.

So, deep breath.  About to head downstairs to take a taxi to school.  I'll get there before 6:00 and that gives me 2 hours before students come into the classroom.  I can do this!  I can do this!  I can do this!  Breath in......Breath out.

No comments:

Post a Comment