Thursday, August 7, 2014

My students and what I'm teaching...

To begin with, I've been an elementary teacher for 16 years and a Pre-K teacher before that.  This year I'll be teaching middle school math and science. I LOVE math and science so I'm very excited about teaching just that.  I've taught every grade from Pre-K through 5th grade so teaching middle school doesn't feel like too much of a stretch....well, it didn't until this week.

First, I'll be teaching three different subjects 4 times a week (three 50 minute blocks and one 90 minute block).  I'm teaching one session of regular 6th grade math (Everyday Math), 2 sessions of grade 6 science (starting with weather & climate - it's typhoon season here so might as well work with what I've got), and 2 sessions of pre-algebra.  One of my pre-algebra classes is a small group of sixth graders who tested out of regular math and are moving up to pre-algebra.  I'm also teaching one 7th grade session of pre-algebra which has 23 students, 15 of them are considered English Language Learner students which means everything from below grade level in English to doesn't speak one word of English.  Oh my!

Regular math and science....I've got that!  I'm totally psyched and already have a plan.  Pre-algebra is like going into a lion's den for me.  I know the math but have never taught it so teaching 2 different classes is a bit scary for me.  Thankfully I have another teacher who is teaching the same material so I told him he pretty much is doing my planning for the first few weeks until I get my feet under me.  Luckily he's wonderfully supportive and all over it.  Aren't you proud of me?  I'm letting go control and asking for help at every turn.

Now let's talk about my students.  First of all, I now realize that in Taiwan about 50% of the population share about 20 last names (you can check it out on-line).  I have a fourth of one class with the last name Chen or Chang and many others are Lee or Lin.  The third group is Wang or Wu.  I find that remarkable! They all have a Chinese first name but most have adopted an English name like Cindy and Megan.  I guess I have a Chinese name in Taiwan. They need it for all of the paperwork and visa. I need to find out what that is don't you think?  It might just go perfectly with Sirois!

No comments:

Post a Comment