Sunday, August 31, 2014

Move Over People!!

Do I love having a bicycle in Kaohsiung?  Absolutely!  But riding a bike in this city has both a positive and negative side.  Since I always like to end things on a positive note, I'll start with the negative.

Drivers and pedestrians in this city are CRAZY! Riding my bike is taking my life in my hands each and every time.  I admit it, it's exhilarating but COME ON!  The mornings are okay.  When I leave for work at 6:30 or so, it's cooler outside (still ridiculously humid) but there is little traffic so it's not so bad.  The way home is another matter.  I have to go down this very busy road and, you know that video I posted with scooter drivers, well, that's what it's like all around me.  Even if there is room, they pass me going 30-40 mph only 3 inches from me.  They cut right in front of me without even looking.  I have to cross this really busy street to get to the other side of the railway and into my neighborhood.  That part is terrifying.  When the light turns green, I have to go as fast as possible with 50 scooters around me and cars coming and turning the other way.  They don't care if I'm a few feet behind, they go around me, in front of me, beside me.  No right-of-way at all!  Cabs cut right in front of everyone because apparently they have ultimate reign of the roads.  By the time I get home, my heart is pounding, I'm all sweaty and feel like dropping to my knees and kissing the ground.  I've let go of a few good French curse words on my rides around Kaohsiung. Check this video out and you'll get a little glimpse of what I'm up against. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mij0SHySK4s

Pedestrians aren't any better.  They don't even look when they cross and walk right in front of you.  I could BRRRINNG BRRRINNGG it all day long and they don't even turn around or move over.  The bike trails are right next to walking trails.  Do they walk on those?  No!  They walk on the bike trails and don't move.  I have come to complete stops because the path is completely blocked by a couple strolling along.  Cars may not be on the bike trails but every now and then, a scooter heads your way or flies by.  That isn't allowed but I guess no one cares.

Oh, and dogs!  They are everywhere and you rarely see a dog on a leash.  The dogs actually follow the rules of the road and trails better than their owners but I still have to stop and take it slow all the time because of little Fidos in the trail.

Okay, that's my bike rant.  Now the positives!

I love having the freedom to get around the city without having to speak Chinese.  Before that I would have to figure out a way to get to a specific store by taxi without knowing how to say it or not having it in writing.  Today I rode to a great grocery store that I hadn't been to before because it's just a bit too far to walk.  I filled my bike basket, a backpack and had a small bag and was able to carry it home no problem.

Having the freedom to go to stores, ride down the trails and explore the city is a wonderful thing.  It takes me less than 15 minutes to bike to and from school and now I can meet people for dinner without waiting for a taxi and without walking 40 minutes each way.  I may have a healthy fear of biking through this city but with my backpack, bike helmet and a deep breath, I will conquer this city and will live to tell about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment