Thursday, August 14, 2014

Warm and Fuzzies...

I worked a very long day today, over twelve hours, but I'm getting sub plans together for next week because I am returning to Maine for my daughter's joyous wedding. Not looking forward to over 48 hours of traveling in less than a week but so excited to be home with my girls.

So anyway, as you know it's been pouring here for days and this afternoon it finally broke. It is the first true blue sky I've seen since I've been here.



It's about a 30 minute walk home so I decided to enjoy the clear skies, soft breeze and crazy humidity and walk home. As I walked I got all warm and fuzzy, and I'm not talking about the constant sweaty glow I've acquired while in Taiwan. I'm talking about my feelings for this city of Kaohsiung. I've been here almost 3 weeks and I'm already feeling all warm and fuzzy about this place.

As I was walking, although I'm stared at an extraordinary amount, everyone looked at me and nodded in greeting. That's everywhere you go. On my walk home I did not see one Caucasian person, and have only seen one while walking around the past 3 weeks.  But I did pass hundreds, and I'm not exaggerating, of runners, walkers and bikers all out enjoying the evening. There's traffic at 6:30 but people walk in silence or speak quietly. It's calming, for a city of 2.7 million people. Scooters are coming at you and people don't care if you're a pedestrian; vehicles seem to have right of way. Doesn't matter, I love every minute of walking home.

People exercising, haven't seen any obesity here at all, people smiling and enjoying the evening; what a special city this is.

As I turned the corner for my street, I took a few photos of my building and the lobby area. This is what I get to look forward to each day. Like I've said before, life is good.






No comments:

Post a Comment