Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pomelo Season!

Went to the fruit/vegetable stand on my way home yesterday and realized mango season is coming to an end and pomelo season is just beginning. There were some new fruits I didn't recognize. Bought all of this produce, yummy, and biked my way home.



Today, we got an email saying that, in celebration of the Moon Festival this weekend, a group of parents got together and delivered cases of pomelos for the staff. Apparently they come in "regular" and red. I got three, one little and two HUGE!


Now, I've eaten pomelo in the states but nothing compares to this. First, they are a pain in the butt to eat. The pith is about an inch thick and like rubber. You can't eat anything but the juicy meat in the sections, not even the parts that separate the sections. They're bitter but mostly they are tough, tough, tough - like eating leather. The juicy stuff is fantastic! So refreshing, light and sweet! It's like eating a sweeter, less bitter grapefruit.

It took me a few minutes to trim this sucker and then it took even longer to eat it. Really, it's a pain in the behind but so worth it.


You have to get one the next time you see one! I insist!

1 comment: