Saturday, September 27, 2014

It's ALL about me!

Who am I kidding!?  Of course it's all about me!  This is my blog after all.  What I mean is that this weekend is literally "All about me."

I've been in Taiwan for 2 months already and I have taken only one day off.  I take teaching seriously and since I'm teaching totally new subjects, in a new school and new grade levels, I've had to work every day to keep up.  I took one day off when we had that long weekend a few weeks back and I have to work this weekend too.  I'm not complaining...just saying.  I was invited to do several things this weekend but I decided that I needed a little TLC instead because I realized that I was running on fumes.  So my weekend is all about taking care of me.

This morning I started off my day by brewing myself a pot of tea from tea leaves given to me as a gift by one of my students.


It was fragrant and delicious.

I then rode my bicycle to a local salon to get my hair cut and colored.  I haven't done this since before I left the states and I had to just jump in and do this.  Being a redhead and having short hair, it takes a little faith to get your hair cut and colored because I don't want to look like a character from "Orange is the New Black" or have orange hair.  I asked around and was given a recommendation.  I went to a this cute little salon near the night market and met Felix, who is originally from Hong Kong but has been in Kaohsiung for 12 years.  I was there for 2 hours and it cost about the same as what I would pay in the states but it was a very different experience.

First, when I sat down we had a conversation about what I wanted and he went off to get things ready.  He quickly came back and asked me if I had eaten breakfast.  I told him I was all set but he made me get up and took me outside and directed me to a little breakfast place down the street.  He said everything would be ready for me when I returned.  How funny is that?!

I went to this little place and ordered an egg dish and a cold milk tea (trust me, it's delicious).

 I returned and ate my breakfast as I had my hair colored.


First, the assistant put what looked like small headphones over my ears but what really were ear protective covers.  Then she put what I believe was an oil on my scalp and massaged it in for a few minutes before she began to color my hair.  Then they wrapped my head in plastic wrap and put this contraption over my head that rotated and heated my head.  That's it below.

The assistant then brought me to the washing station and carefully washed my hair.  The chair was by far the most comfortable chair I've ever had my hair washed in before.  Funny thing was that when I was reclined backwards my legs were so long that my feet rested on the cabinets at the foot of the chair.  Hahaha!  They obviously are not set up for us long-legged types. So, she washed my hair, rinsed it and then washed it again.  This time she washed and massaged my scalp for over 10 minutes. It was heaven!  My friend Karyn would have been all over that!  I was rinsed again then some type of conditioner or something was squeezed onto my hair and I was massaged some more.  No rinse this time....back to the chair.

Felix discussed what I wanted and he dried my hair before he cut it.  He did some things using clippers and scissors that I've never seen before.  He really listened to what I had to say and kept asking and checking in throughout the haircut.  After the haircut, they washed my hair again because they don't want all of those little hairs making you itch.  Then he rubbed in some oils and dried my hair.  What a pampering and relaxing experience.

My hair color is rich, shiny, bright and fun.  The haircut is fantastic!  I'll be back!

This evening I'm meeting a fellow teacher and she is taking me to a local foot massage place (and yes Karyn, this day would be a perfect day for you).  Foot massage is a big thing in Taiwan and when you go you pay about $25 for 1 hour of foot and leg massage.  I can't wait!  We have appointments at 7:30 and I'm sure I'll be all relaxed and happy when I leave there.

Then....in the morning, I am getting my first body massage in Taiwan.  I did a bunch of research and finally found a massage therapist.  Those of you who know me know that I have an interesting back (surgery as a kid, fused spine...all that fun stuff) so I had to be careful about finding a place.  There are plenty of "massage" places around but I needed to find someone I could speak with that understood English.  Not only is she only a 10 minute bike ride away but she costs about $45 for 90 minutes. Booya!  I'll let you know how it goes.

By the time the weekend is over, I will be relaxed, ache free (I hope) and ready to face the world again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment