Saturday, September 6, 2014

Moon Festival

In Taiwan, the full moon symbolizes the happiness of family gatherings and Moon Festival time is all about family and barbecue.  Check this site out for more info.  Moon Festival  Yesterday, without thinking, I ventured out to Costco with Jen, another teacher from my school.  She has a car so she can drive me, which is so amazingly wonderful of her when I have big things to get.  I wanted to get a mattress pad for my bed because it is just a bit too hard for me.  Anyway, Costco was INSANE!  I have never shopped in those conditions before. Without thinking that a holiday weekend would be extra busy, we headed out early yesterday morning and even though we got there a half hour before they officially opened, there were already about 200 people waiting to enter between the two entrances.  By the time we left the place was packed! Because this holiday is about the barbecue, the meat section of Costco was crazy.
 This was calm AND 25 minutes before the place officially opened!

I picked up my mattress pads (2 twin sized ones for my king sized bed) and on my way out walked through the booze part of the store.  There were tasting stations everywhere.  I got tastes of different wines, whiskeys and other spirits and it wasn't even 10 a.m.!
 As I made my way to the checkout area, there was a snack area with treats like the one below.

 In case you can't read this, this says Smoked Shredded Squid.  Dried and smoked fish is everywhere!  $215 NT (New Taiwanese Dollars) is about $7 US. Don't you just want to try this?

Anyway, Moon Festival, and all Chinese holidays are a big deal.  A mom of one of my students dropped off a Moon Festival gift at the office and I got this beautiful present. 



 These are little tea cookies.
These are two different local teas.

What an amazing culture.  I know I have said this before but I am so lucky and blessed to be able to do this.  I just can't wait to share it with others.  Come visit people!

No comments:

Post a Comment