Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Teaching in Taiwan

I can't believe I've been here for 2 months already! I'm in my 8th week of school and the first quarter ends next week. I can't even begin to describe how much I have learned since I've been here. The school where I am teaching has given me such an incredible opportunity and I plan on taking advantage of that each and every day.

First, I get to teach middle school. I tried a couple of times in Portland but even when I got to the final interviews, they always chose someone with middle school experience over me. Now they won't have an excuse to not hire me (let's hope).  I also LOVE teaching at this grade level.  I loved teaching elementary too but this is so different and it is so much fun connecting and building relationships with kids this age.  Also, I don't have the same kids all day long and get to teach 3 subjects instead of 6 or 7.

Second, I have taught more in the past 8 weeks than I would have taught in the first 4 months in the states. In Portland I would have spent hours and hours assessing students - NWEA, NECAP, F&P, Spelling Inventory, and the list goes on. I understand that you need to find out where kids are but COME ON! How about giving us an opportunity to build community, get to know the kids, let them settle in and get to know you and what the expectations are. I bet I could tell you just as much, if not more, about each and every one of my 63 students now after 8 weeks than what all of those assessments would tell me.  I just love that I get to teach them and learn about them right away.

Third, there is such a culture of education first here.  At KAS, students go to school from 8:00-3:00. They have 7 blocks so they go all day - no study halls and little free time.  Many of them go to tutors or buxibans (cram schools) after school to work on English or math or whatever.  When a student is struggling or isn't passing in work, when you contact the parents they respond right away and things get done.  I have been working with students after school and I get the nicest emails and notes of appreciation.  I don't get blamed for their child not succeeding.  In general, they make the child take responsibility and are grateful for any extra support I give.  That doesn't mean that didn't happen in the states but there were many times that kids didn't show up and other times when there was excuse after excuse for a child not getting the work done.

Students are so curious and hardworking.  They take their education seriously and ask me immediately if I've corrected work and when the grades will be put into Powerschool (the online grading system).  They will contact me if their grade goes down 1% and will ask what they can do. That doesn't mean that some of my students aren't struggling but when they see a grade lower than a B, they freak out a bit and suddenly they are all over it.

Last, I feel respected and trusted here...by the students, other teachers and the administration.  I teach 63 sixth and seventh graders and in eight weeks, I have had attitude from only two students.  TWO! Can you imagine that this would be the case in the states?  And these are middleschoolers! Many of my students come from families from a higher income bracket but they don't act like that.  They are respectful, kind and hard-working.

I miss my family and friends but coming here to teach was truly one of the best decisions for me professionally.  It has given me a renewed love and passion for teaching and has completely energized me.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment