Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My morning walk to work...

Sweet Mother of Pearl is it humid here! I decided to walk to work today. It's only 3.4 kilometers I said. That's only about 2 miles I said. I do that all the time in a Portland. Pahhh, piece of cake! Gotta get some exercise while I'm here. I have a wedding to look good for in 3 weeks.

By the time I made it to the end of the block I was sweating. Two blocks I was wiping sweat off of my face, brow, neck and kneecaps ( okay, not my kneecaps!). Halfway there I was dripping sweat and it was running into my eyes. Picture it...I get all red when I'm hot. I must have looked like I had severe high blood pressure. It took me 37 minutes, not bad considering I missed one left and had to retrace, and when I got there I was soaked. It looked like I had stepped out of the shower fully clothed. I plan on walking some of the time but realize I'll have to take a shower here (which hopefully is possible in the gym) and will need to bring a change of clothes. I will be taking some cab rides me thinks. It only costs $3 from here to my place so when it rains, I'm cabbing it baby!

Here are some shots along the way....
 Yup, no clue.

Hard to tell but there were some beautifully strange and different trees and plants along the way.

There are lots of interesting artistic spots like this everywhere.  You should see the graffiti!  Some of it is truly spectacular!

This is a closeup of the creature at the end of the wall above.

Beautiful walkways and sidewalks (where there are sidewalks).  I mean, it doesn't snow here, EVER, so they can materials like marble etc.

There are scooters everywhere. They even come up on the sidewalk while you're walking. It is the primary mode of transportation here. I may just have to get me one.


Now I can't tell you that my entire way was this pretty. There's some incredible poverty here and I got to walk by some of it this morning. Somehow it didn't feel right stopping to take pictures of that. I know I will because I want to capture everything about this place and I want to share with you.

So now I'm sitting in my classroom with the air conditioning on high trying to cool down and dry off. Phew, I made it and I didn't even get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment