Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Xīnnián kuàilè - Happy New Year on Monkey Mountain!

Today is the beginning of the new year in Taiwan and my resolution is to get more exercise. Yes, I do bike every day because it is my one mode of transportation other than walking. Yes, my school is spread out and I get exercise just by making copies. But, this aging body needs to do more exercise and I know it. Today I begin to exercise on a more regular basis!

My friends Wendy and Lee joined me on a hike up Monkey Mountain this morning. It's incredibly humid today and in the 70's so it was nice to get out there early. We went up a new path that Lee had gone on with another co-worker. Wow! It was incredible! My apologies for another pile of photos but it truly is a magical place to hike. The trees are spectacular; I feel like a T-Rex is going to come stomping around a corner at any moment.


 Most of the path was groomed and a boardwalk or stairs so although the hike is uphill most of the way, it makes for easy going.
 Little pavilions and places to stop and rest can be found along the path.


 The palm fronds are just primordial! 
 It's hard to believe that this is in a city of over 2.5 million people!
 And then there are the monkeys....



 The belief is that when another part of the tree reaches down and takes root, it brings more luck. That is one LUCKY tree!
 Up....and up....and up!
 Nature's art!
 This mountain is pretty much a humungous coral reef that was pushed up out of the ocean. You see the huge chunks of coral jutting out and surrounding you everywhere.


 Some of the leaves are so massive - more than 2-3 feet across!
 I would NOT want to wander into this cave. Just the thought of viper snakes is enough for me!


 We pay a lot of money in the states for a bunch of these flowers and here they grow in the wild.

 That is a hunk of coral reef!




 You can see the path leading us up the mountain. Isn't it amazing!?




 Wendy noticed this little path off the main one we were walking on. We ventured in and this is what we found.  Wow!




 This is at the TOP of the mountain! People have to hike up here to tend this garden!



 It was a perfect little sanctuary and one I will come to often!
 The path we were walking on is called the North Slope of Tough Guy! Ha! Translation is everything!
 A few furry friends on the path as we made our way down the mountain. Hiking up is work, going down hundreds of stairs is tough on the knees.
 That's the life. Having someone picking and grooming you as you lay in the sun.
 This is how close I was. Amazing!
 At the bottom of the mountain there are little shops selling cold drinks and snacks. There are also the "See, Hear and Speak no Evil Monkeys" reminding us of the rules to live by.
 And our journey was at an end. From the moment we left my place to bike to Monkey Mountain and return, we hiked and biked for almost 3 hours. Now that's what I call starting a New Year's resolution!

Xīnnián kuàilè (Happy New Year) to all my family and friends. Gōngxǐ fācái (happiness and prosperity)!

No comments:

Post a Comment