Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My Morning Commute!

You know how the traffic in the states gets crazier during the holidays? Everyone is distracted, trying to get things done and you have to be just a little more careful when you're driving. Well, I guess that's what is happening here. The big holiday in Taiwan is Chinese New Year, which is less than 2 weeks away, and the drivers are KAH..RAZY!

This morning I left at my usual time (around 6:30 a.m.) and it's not a bad morning bike ride. There isn't much traffic and it's the one time of day I can bike around that I don't fear for my life every second. Maybe during the next 2 weeks I'll rethink my position on that. This morning I had TWO close calls...and I mean CLOSE.

First, a cab driver took a right turn in front of me just as I was going through an intersection. You have to understand that there are car lanes and to the right of those lanes is a scooter lane. This is the lane I was in. He was so close that when I came to a screeching halt, my front tire rubbed up against his car from the passenger side door all the way to the end of the cab. If I hadn't stopped I would have been absolutely creamed! I'm not even sure why I noticed him because he came whipping around so fast but I did and no damage to me or the bike. There is absolutely no reason why he should have come careening around the corner like that but that doesn't matter one bit around here. My heart was a-pumpin' when I continued on my commute. Phew! Close call!

Most mornings, I go around this little park on a side road because the park is filled with senior citizens exercising and it makes going through the park a bit challenging. I took my usual route down this residential street and when I got to the end, a scooter tried to pass me on the left at the same time as a scooter came flying from the other direction. As per usual, they were looking straight ahead so they slammed into each other right in front of me. In fact, it was so close that when I came to a stop, I flew over my bike and landed....ON TOP OF one of the scooter drivers. I'm not sure what shocked the driver more...hitting another scooter or having a tall white woman fall on top of him. We were literally nose to nose with me laying right on top of him. Full body slam! His expression was priceless! Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

To add to the visual... I was transporting a whole bunch of root vegetables to school today because we are studying the structure of plants and I'm having tastings of different plant parts each week. Today is roots day. I had some in my backpack but I had daikon radish, potatoes, ginger and carrots in my basket and they went airborne. Hahahahaha! I popped up like I was on a spring after seeing the guy's expression and didn't know where to start. Bike? Roots? Am I hurt? Help them? I just closed my eyes, took a deep breath and began by helping them with their scooters and seeing if they were okay. That shocked them even more I think. Then I checked my bike and, as far as I can tell, it seems okay. Amazing right? I'll have it checked this weekend just to be safe.

Next step, searching for and gathering some vegetables. They flew EVERYWHERE! Someone may find an escaped potato or carrot at some point but I grabbed what I could and piled them in my basket. The two guys were busy yelling, gesticulating and checking their scooters. I wanted to say something but what could I say? I don't know how to say "asshole drivers" in Chinese, so I brushed myself off, got on my bike and rode away, albeit very slowly and gingerly. I'm not even sure if they noticed.

I am one lucky woman to have survived the morning. Have to admit, just thinking about that guy's expression, makes me laugh. I'm sure he'll have a story to tell today.


No comments:

Post a Comment