Sunday, February 1, 2015

Taipei

After my visit to the Chimei Museum on Saturday, I took the high speed train up to Taipei to meet a new friend (who is the wife of a college friend) and to finally visit the largest city in Taiwan. I only got to spend 24 hours there but I already love Taipei and can't wait to visit again. Kaohsiung is a great city and Taipei has a completely different feel.

I have to say, I'm pretty freakin' proud of myself for navigating so much on my own. I know it would be much easier doing this adventuring with someone else but there's only me and I'm just going for it.

The high speed train from Kaohsiung to Taipei is only 90 minutes and you end up at the main station, which is massive and a bit crazy. I was staying at a hotel directly across the street and I had to find the exit that takes me under the busy street to get there. There is an underground mall under that street that  proved to be a bit confusing but I made it without a wrong turn with the help of a map drawn by my friend Linda. Thanks Linda!! This is the main train station in Taipei pictured below.


I stayed at the Taming Business Hotel, which is a Japanese owned hotel that is located on the 19th floor of the HASDAQ Plaza. Yes, just the 19th floor. The room was simple with no frills but it's in a great location, clean and very reasonably priced. I will absolutely stay there again when I return because the train and subway are right outside the building!

I made my way to meet my new friend and got totally lost. What is amazing is that a taxi driver pulled over to ask me if I needed help. He insisted I jump into the cab and he drove me to the hotel I was searching for. He refused payment and wished me a great visit to Taipei. Come on! Where does that ever happen! I was offered help 3 times in Taipei. I LOVE this country!
There are all of these streets and alleys that all look pretty much the same so I figured out how I got lost and where I took a wrong turn so that I didn't make the same mistake on my way back to my hotel.
I walked all over the neighborhood going in and out of little shops and buildings along the way. I ended up in little Indian restaurant where i enjoyed the first Indian food I've had since my move to Taiwan. It was spicy, warming and delicious. If my phone hadn't died I would have taken a picture of the garlic naan I was served. I'm not kidding when I say it was at least 18 inches in diameter. And don't you worry...I ate the WHOLE thing.

I headed back to the hotel, had my little cold water tushy incident with the Japanese toilet and tried to have a good night's sleep. I find the mattresses in all of the places I've stayed at are incredibly firm so it doesn't make for the most comfortable night. I'm learning to deal with it. Massage helps!

I was prepared for a cold and rainy day but today turned out beautiful so instead of trying my hand at the subway system in Taipei, I decided to walk around the city to see where my left and right turns took me. Not too far from the hotel I found the 228 Peace Park. From what I found out both at the park and after reading more about it, this was the first European-style urban park in Taiwan and is on the grounds of the Presidential Office Building.

The park contains memorials dedicated to the victims of the 228 incident of 1947. This incident was basically an anti-government uprising in which Taiwanese protested against the post-WWII Chinese government set in place by Chiang Kai-shek.  It began on February 27th and then was violently suppressed by the KMT-led Republic of China government that killed thousands of civilians beginning on the 28th. From what I gather, this incident is one of the most important in Taiwan's history because tens of thousands were killed in the months following. 





 As with so many parks and monuments in Taiwan, everything is so beautifully designed and presented. This was a lovely place to begin my day.

 The park has an exercise area and there were hundreds of people doing different forms of exercise from martial arts to dance to yoga. You can see a group in blue below all doing t'ai chi.

 I love the juxtaposition of the modern building in the background (one of the tallest buildings in Taipei) with the traditional temple in the foreground.

There was a sense of calm and serenity in this park as I wandered through. It seemed to be a gathering spot for residents of the city. There were many small groups exercising, sitting and enjoying breakfast, sharing tea and families were playing with children.



One side of the park is bordered by this really wide boulevard called Ketagalan Boulevard. It is 10 lanes wide and only 400 meters long. It goes from the Presidential Building to the East Gate.
 This is the Gate end...
 this is the Presidential Building.


 Behind this guarded gate is the Taipei Guest House. It is owned by the Government of the Republic of China and is used to receive state guests. It was built during Japanese rule and is open to the public only 6 days a year (the first Sunday of even numbered months).

 That's Taipei 101 in the distance. It is the 2nd tallest building in the world. I'll be visiting that the next time I come to Taipei.

After making my way down the boulevard, I saw this gate in the distance and made my way in that direction. I seriously had no clue where I was going but ended up in an incredible part of Taipei, Memorial Hall Square.


 That is the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial in the distance. WOW! 

 The National Theater and National Concert Hall flank the Square.
 This great shot was with my iphone! I done good on this one!






 The roof is blue and octagonal, which is cool because the number 8 is associated with abundance and good fortune in Taiwan. When I climbed the steps I counted them, and there were 89 of them. I know, counting stairs is a bit OCD! Later, while going through the building,I found out that this was his age at the time of his death. 


 What a great view I had from the top step! The panoramic feature of my phone is very cool!


The building houses a museum and library commemorating his life and the top floor has a main hall with a huge statue of Chiang Kai-shek.





 There is a changing of the guard every hour but I didn't get to stay for this. I had to head back to catch a train. I'll definitely come back for that. They stand SO still...it's impressive!

Chiang Kai-shek was a fascinating man. You should read up on him. He was a military and political leader of the Republic of China who ruled mainland China for 22 years and Taiwan for 30 years. He is credited with bringing Taiwan to a path of economic modernization. As with all political figures, there is a bright and a dark side to their history. He is no exception.

I made my way back toward the train station to catch my train back to Kaohsiung. The shot below is a view from the elevated walkway that took me over to the main train station area.


I made it to the station with enough time to grab a quick lunch at a little Japanese place in the train station. Edamame, sushi and green tea...the perfect ending to a perfect day in Taipei.


No comments:

Post a Comment