Saturday, February 28, 2015

Kaohsiung Lantern Festival

Along the Love River in Kaohsiung there is a Lantern Festival that is held every year during the Chinese New Year Celebrations! My friend Wendy and I went down there tonight to see the sights. It was a gorgeous night in the 70's and I think most of Kaohsiung had the same idea. There were thousands of people there to see both the lantern festival and the fireworks. The lanterns are so impressive! 



It's the Year of the Sheep/Ram/Goat so that was pretty much the theme of the exhibit.


 This one above was made completely of takeout containers!



 Look at the incredible detail! They are basically wire frames covered with fabric! Some had motors that made them move and many had changing colors.

 This dragon may have been my favorite! I love me some dragons!
 Dozens of lanterns are exhibited in these tents along the river.
 That's a little baby goat in the center of the heart. 



 The river was lined with lanterns, food, drinks and games. 

 This jellyfish is made completely of recycled plastic bottles.



We got seats facing the river and got an incredible view of the fireworks. They were short but probably the most well orchestrated fireworks I've ever seen. I'm hoping that next year I have some friends that will come visit so they can share this with me. It's quite the celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment