Monday, November 24, 2014

My school in Kaohsiung

I went on a photo taking tour of the school today. KAS is housed in an older building that has seen better times but a new school is being built on the grounds and we get to move in this spring.  I took a few photos when I first saw my classroom at the end of July but decided it's time to add to the collection.
I know this shot is totally random in this mix but I was complaining about the white board markers here and a fellow teacher told me that they are refillable. WHAT!? I couldn't believe it! It wasn't the easiest process and I believe I got a little high from the fumes but I filled all of my whiteboard markers and they are now AWESOME! Who knew they made these! Very cool and better for the environment.
 This is my classroom. I'm hoping those large awkward tables don't make the trip over to the new school but if they do, oh well, I've had worse. I can only sit 3 students at these huge tables because I know better than sitting students facing each other. I would never get a word in edgewise. My largest class is 24 students so we are crammed in there.
 My bulletin board with some student posters and learner profile terms.
 This is what I see when I step out of my classroom. There are sinks up and down the hallways, which is great. The water from the sinks drain right into these gutters outside, which is common practice here.
 My view looking down from outside my room.
 The bathrooms are open to the hallway and the sinks are outside the bathroom - squatting toilets on the left, sitting ones on the right. I choose....door to the right for $500 Monty.

 This is the basketball court and playground with the new school being built in the background.


 The younger students have planted a garden down by the playground. I love to watch them working in the garden during the day. The security guards join in on a regular basis.
 This is the new school. It doesn't look like much but they expect it to be complete within the next 3 months or so.
 It's amazing that everything is still so green and lush and it's November. I know I'm in a subtropical country but I've never lived where there is no real winter. From what I hear this part of Taiwan is experiencing a drought right now but you would never know it when you go through the area because things are still so green and flowers are blooming everywhere.
 This is a little stage sitting at the corner of the playground. Those are boots lined up on the stage that the kids wear while working in the garden. Adorable!
 If you want to check out what the new building is supposed to look like, check out the school website at KAS
 That is the cafeteria and canteen in the background. You can see the umbrellas on tables where teachers and students can sit and eat their lunch. It's perfect weather to sit outside now, although today was really hot and humid.
 Those are the security guards using their whistles to guide the many cars that drive up to pick up students. There are 3 gates around the school that are controlled by the great group of guards that man the guard station 24/7.
 Like in every school, colorful and original artwork lines the halls.
 These stairs take you up to the second floor. What I love about this is that those are photos of different graduation classes that go up both staircases.
 This is the view up to the second floor from the courtyard outside my classroom.
 KAS is on the corner of 3 very busy streets. These red lanterns were put up a couple of weeks ago on the streets surrounding the school. I'm not sure why they are there but I love how the sunlight makes them glow. It's a beautiful sight.

In a few months I'll be taking lots of pictures of the new school. We had a tour in August when things were very much under construction and we get to visit again in a couple of weeks. I'll try to take some pictures at that time. I get to have a brand new classroom, which is a first, and get to set it up just the way I like it. I'm sure you'll get to hear all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment