Friday, November 21, 2014

Holy Busy Batman!!!

It's been a few days since my last blog. I am so busy at school that it's a bit overwhelming. School is crazy and I've been spending about 12 hours a day there trying to keep my head above water.  I left at 3:30 today because I needed to step away from it all. We've all been there.

I haven't had any big adventures in the last few days but have had a bunch of little ones. I got to visit a patient at the local hospital, which was a test in how to find someone when you don't speak the language, judged a local spelling bee and had another dinner with Pearl.

Last Saturday I got to go to another one of the international schools and was a judge for a spelling bee. I was in charge of the younger kids, grades 1 and 2, and I had such a nice time with them. One of our KAS students won, which was a bonus. A few of my students were there as well and it's always nice to spend time with students outside of school.

 This local school is a Christian one and this was one of offerings on the bulletin board. Hmmmm...
After the spelling bee the guy in charge, who heads up one of the local cram schools, took me to lunch at a local Taiwanese restaurant. His wife Annie and son Sam joined us and it was an amazing meal. I can't believe I didn't take pictures! What was I thinking!?

 The next day I visited someone at the University hospital and this is what I saw when I entered. Whoa! I really couldn't figure out what to do and where to go so, luckily I had asked one of the secretaries at school to write info in Chinese so I kept stopping complete strangers and asking them where I needed to go. I made it! It took me a while to find my bike when I left the hospital but eventually I located it. Do you think they make a "clapper" for finding a bicycle?

And finally, last night I went out for another dinner with Pearl. She took us to a traditional Hakka restaurant that is only a minute or two from my apartment. The Hakka people have an amazing history and culture. They are called and considered the "Jews of Asia". The name Hakka was used to indicate "guests" who had left their homelands to settle down in other parts of the country. When they left China and came to Taiwan, they were forced to settle at the foot of the local mountains where the land is less fertile so they had to be hard-working and creative to survive. This comes out in their food. The flavors combine different processes to preserve food (vinegar, salt and sugar) and frugality.

These were roasted beans that were salty, nutty and crunchy. Delicious and dangerous; I could eat these all the time. 
 A big vat of steamed rice was placed on the rotating lazy susan. Perfect for the food we were about to share.
 This local green, called yelian, can only grow in perfectly clean and clear water and it grows to about 4 feet in height. It was so green and clean tasting. Loved it!


This dish was preserved pork belly that was aromatic and tender. It was served on a bed of pickled cabbage that was fantastic! The Hakka learned how to store meat in jars so there is this complex and a bit funky taste that comes out.
You can see that the food was a big monochromatic in color but the flavors were distinct and complex. This above dish was a collection of different vegetables (bitter melon, cabbage, yams) slowly roasted and served with a salty and fragrant sauce. Have I mentioned how much I love the cabbage in this country!
Tofu in Taiwan is to die for! I don't know how they do it! This one was crunchy, light and creamy at the same time. Crazy! What the hell do they do to tofu in the U.S.? It doesn't taste anything like what I get here.
This dish was a mixture of gelatinous rice and turnip called a turnip "cake". I know, it sounds disgusting but I loved it. It was chewy and savory. You dip the piece in soy sauce and nomnom. I have the leftovers and can't wait to have this for breakfast tomorrow.
The whole steamed fish was spicy and so delicate. It was served with these little seeded "berries" that are so packed with flavor. This has become one of my favorites local dishes.

We were also served the traditional Hakka rice noodles that are thicker than usual and creamy in texture. They reminded me of the rice noodles I get at my favorite restaurant in China Town in Boston. What a combination!
The final touch was a combination of desserts that had, again, such an interesting combination of flavors.
These are tomatoes! Yes, tomatoes! They serve tomatoes for dessert here. Well, these pack a punch. They are preserved through pickling with dried plums. They are intense and I could only eat a couple of them. Whoa!
These were a gelatinous rice type of dessert that were served hot and tossed in crushed peanuts. I LOVED these!
This gelatinous drink was cold and clean. It was lightly sweetened and served with this big straw. I am not a fan of jello in any way but I have grown to love these gelatinous drinks served here. They are just so unique and interesting.
This is beautiful Pearl. I really love this woman! She has made my transition to Taiwan such a pleasure.

And finally, I got to say goodbye to my dentist. Last night was my last appointment for my root canal. Eight visits and I finally had my permanent crown placed last night. Thank goodness! Let's hope I don't need a visit, other than a cleaning, for a good long while. I got to say goodbye to my dental office companions who have kept me company the past few months. Goodbye boys! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment