Sunday, November 30, 2014

Another amazing fruit/vegetable market in Kaohsiung


I came back from Hualien and Taroko National Park late last night and knew that my fridge and cupboards were bare and I had to do a real shopping. Usually I go to the local outdoor market every 2-3 days and buy what I need. I only have a bicycle so it can be challenging doing a larger shopping because I have only my backpack and a small basket to carry things. Today I made 3 trips and got lots of it done.

My friend and fellow teacher Wendy found this amazing wholesale fruit and vegetable market that is about a 20 minute bike ride from my apartment. This place was MASSIVE and you could get any fresh fruit or vegetable imaginable. 

 Nice melons! Heehee... Obviously I didn't buy one of these. How could I possibly take one of these home!? Some of these watermelons were the size of my torso!
 I have NO clue what this is. I bought one because that's what I do...try new things. I don't know if I can eat it raw or have to cook it. I shall see. Those dark green bumpy things are bitter melons. Not my favorite.
 The types of greens sold in this country is astounding. I've been making my way through all of them.

 Another fruit or whatever that I have no clue about. It looks like a cross between a giant pear and a small watermelon.
 I've never lived in a country that has so many different mushrooms for sale that are so inexpensive.
Another curious item. The vendors were trimming them to look like flowers.

I bought enough produce to fill both a big backpack and a bag that fit into my basket. I'll be back next week!

7 comments:

  1. Nancy! I think I live in your neighborhood! Where do I find this market?? I live by the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This market in the blog is downtown and I have only gone with a person who leads the way. I'll get that to you. I believe it's off of Minzu but I'll get the details for you.

      The market I go to all the time (at least 2 times a week) is right in our neighborhood. It's across the railroad tracks off of Cuihua Road. I usually cross the tracks south of museum park (Meishuguan) and take a right onto Cuihua. The market begins around 4:00 every day and goes the entire block from Cuihua to Gushan 3rd Road. It also goes off into the alleys and buildings to the side. You can get everything from produce, meats, fish and prepared items. I love it!

      Delete
  2. Hello, I recently moved to Kaohsiung and I was wondering if you could post the address to this place. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Welcome to Kaohsiung! Sorry to say I don't have an address. I live near the art museum and I go down the bike path to Minzu. I turn right (going south) and it's off of that road to the left. You don't have to go too far down from the bike path. Sorry I'm not more help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The address of thst market is this 高雄市果菜批發市場

    ReplyDelete
  5. The address of thst market is this 高雄市果菜批發市場

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you put into Google Maps "Minzu Morning Local Market" you should be able to find it. Cheers and enjoy

    ReplyDelete