Wednesday, June 18, 2014

How did this all happen?

As my time to depart gets closer, I've been asked how my heading to Taiwan came about. Well, here's my tale. First, let me begin by saying that responsibility weighs heavy on me. That doesn't mean I dislike being responsible and don't value the duties and responsibilities I take on. It means that I take responsibility seriously. When my dad passed away this fall, I realized that I wasn't a daughter anymore. I also am not a wife and am not in a relationship. My daughters are 22 and 25, so the responsibility of mothering, although always present and amazing, isn't as demanding and time consuming as it used to be. I felt untethered for the first time in my life. I felt like I had only myself to answer to.

That's powerful!

So, I found out my present principal had decided to go to Taiwan and I let her know that I needed a reference because I had decided to teach abroad somewhere. She put me in touch with the superintendent in Kaohsiung and we starred to email back and forth. Come to find out, he is from Maine and was coming to visit his family at Christmas. We met and I knew immediately that this was the right fit and place for me. I've always trusted my gut and it was telling me...HELL YES!

I took the contract home, read it and signed. I haven't had a second of doubt, even though I'll miss so many people, especially my daughters. Since I made my decision, I have met so many people from Taiwan and have had so many coincidences that support my decision.  It just feels like I'm meant to do this.

So, that's my story. I hope you follow me on my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment