Thursday, May 15, 2014

Shipping of Items


http://doingitwright.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/buried-boxes.jpg



Met with the shipping company yesterday to get things organized to ship to Taiwan. I have to have things ready to go by next week, which isn't a problem, but I'll have to live without many of my possessions for over two months. It takes about 8 weeks to get things over there the cheapest way possible.

I've been in my classroom for 13 years and, although I'm not a pack rat and go through my things and purge on a regular basis, it's still very......strange, for lack of a better word, to go through everything I have accumulated as a teacher over the last 20 years and decide what is the most valuable to take with me. I can only bring so much! I'm sure it's strange for my students as well. I have a collection of boxes in the classroom and some shelves are getting a bit bare. I've tried to impact them as little as possible but this needs to get done.

How often do we really have to decide what are the most valuable things in our lives? When do we even have the time to reflect on our possessions? They usually all get packed up when we move and go along with us. I can't do that. No vehicle, no furniture, no multiple boxes of books. All of it is going to my daughters, brother, friends or being donated or sold. What do I keep? What do I take? What do I get rid of? Everything I find of use or valuable will he boxed, shrink wrapped on a pallet, put in a shipping container and shipped halfway around the world to make its way to a school I've never seen and to a high rise apartment I won't see until I walk through the door. Makes you reflect and recognize what is truly important and valuable it your life. I am so fortunate to be able to do this.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment