Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Mishap in Kaohsiung

It's been awhile since my last blog and my apologies. It's been a bit crazy. A a few days ago, while riding my bike to school on Saturday morning, I was hit by a scooter while crossing the road. I saw him in the distance but there was no other traffic so started to cross to get into the school entrance. The problem was that the scooter driver was going much faster than I thought and instead of staying in the scooter lane he came around into the road to pass me. I'm not sure why (if he wasn't paying attention or what) but he was going way too fast and couldn't change his course. I was hit head-on and went flying. I landed on my right shoulder and ended up with a broken collarbone.

It all happened so fast. I got up, moved my bike to the side of road and did a body check. I knew right away that I was hurt...I couldn't move my arm and the pain was excruciating. The scooter driver was yelling at me in Chinese while I stood there when the security guard for the school came to check on me. I ended up being taken to the hospital by ambulance with one of the the KAS parents staying with me to help.

Something like this happening is bad enough but when you don't speak the language it makes it all much more challenging. How can I explain what hurts? How do I explain that I have a fused spine and a crazy, mixed-up body that could make things a challenge? Lois, the mom, was there to hold my hand and translate. She was amazing!

While in the emergency room I had to take a breathalyzer test (at 8:00 a.m.) and had to explain several times what happened. They kept asking me to sign things but I couldn't use my right arm. Lois was there to take it all on.

Ended up with a broken collarbone near the shoulder and there was a chance I was going to have surgery. I was put in a sling, given some meds and was sent home. From being hit by the scooter to sitting on my couch, it was a total of 2 hours. To say I was in pain is an understatement but I kept telling myself that it could have been so much worse.

The following Monday I went back to the hospital for another x-ray to make sure the break hadn't moved and to decide if I needed surgery. I admit the system for a follow-up isn't my favorite. I had to check into the doctor's office with my medical card, was given a slip of paper to go get another x-ray, waited in line there, then back up to the doctor's office until they called my number. I was number 42 and it was only at 17. It took over 2 hours.
The waiting room was packed with people with little to no seats to wait. I guess you can check in then wait at home until your number is up. You can check online to see what number they are up to but everything is in Chinese so this doesn't help me at all.
The treatment room is not like what I'm used to in the states. I walked in and had a seat while the doctor consulted with the patient in front of me. No privacy here. Then I had about 5 minutes with the doctor. I was in crazy pain and didn't even have a chance to tell him about my fused spine and other issues. I was told to wear the sling for another week then to come back to get another x-ray. For now, no surgery.

Went back yesterday and no change so no surgery. I have to stay in a sling for the next 4 weeks then another x-ray to see how I'm doing. No use of my right arm and shoulder until then. I'm right handed; this should get interesting. My body isn't happy with the trauma and not being able to stretch or workout the kinks has wreaked havoc on my "unique" body so my muscles are in spasm all the time. Got muscle relaxants and have to basically wait it out. Totally sucks the big one!

So, what do I think of the medical care in Taiwan? First, the ambulance guys were awesome. They were careful, efficient and gentle. The driving there was painful and I had to grab onto the EMT but overall they were great. The emergency room was also efficient. The x-ray techs could use some training. All three times they tried to move me using my shoulders. I have a freakin' sling on and they grab my shoulders to adjust me! Come on!!

Although not a fan of the waiting for 3 hours until your number comes up, my doctor was kind, gentle, speaks some English and really listened to me when I explained the pain and how I was doing. It's like a revolving door of patients but he didn't make me feel like that at all.

And the cost? Here's an example. Yesterday I had an x-ray, saw the doctor and picked up meds. The total cost was just over $14 U.S. So I had to wait a long time to be seen but I felt taken care of, got what I needed and it didn't break the bank. Can't complain about that.

What was amazing is that the KAS community joined together to help me. Different people brought me meals, supplies and kept me company for the first 8 days. I can't even thank everyone enough for making me feel taken care of during the challenging week. I had to cancel my trip to the EARCOS conference in Malaysia and my vacation there but I'm so fortunate to have the time to heal and recover from this bump in the road.

The next few weeks should be challenging but I just have to take it one day at a time. I figured I'll take the time to practice Chinese, learn how to use chopsticks with my left hand and basically let my body recover. As with all things, this too shall pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment