Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Figuring things out in Kaohsiung



It's amazing how quickly we can adapt. Today I ordered tickets online for the high speed train to Taipei. A couple of friends and I are going up there for Chinese New Year in February. I then had to go to a 7-11 to pay for and pick up those tickets. In Taiwan, 7-11 is the center of everything - snacks, ATMs, paying bills and now picking up train tickets.

When I got there I soon realized that I had to use a kiosk to print a receipt that I then had to take to the cashier. I knew none of this, of course, because the kiosk directions were completely in Chinese. I went to the cashier to ask for help and she couldn't understand what I was asking. Luckily I had my Chinese class notebook with me and I had learned how to ask for help in class this week - Keyi bāng wo mai ma? - can help me buy? It worked! She helped me and then I was able to say the numbers I needed to say in Chinese. Very small steps but, damn, I am proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment