Saturday, October 18, 2014

Shou-Shan Zoo

Feeling a little blue today so I decided to visit the local zoo.  It's about 4 km from my house so an easy bike ride there, or so I thought. What I didn't realize is that the zoo is located on the top of a mountain and the road going up, up, up is quite steep. What's amazing is that I made it to the top. Two months ago there is no way I could have made it up that hill on a bike.  I only had to stop once because one section was just too damned steep but other than that, I made it all the way up. Woot! Woot!  Having only a bicycle as my mode of transportation has many positives.

I made it to the top and followed the crowd. Most signs were in Chinese but I was able to make my way around and park my bike. At this point I was a sweaty mess so took a moment to cool down and catch my breath.
 As I rested I realized that I was surrounded by monkeys. Dozens of them! They were just hanging out along the fence where people parked their scooters and bikes.
 Lots of little babies being groomed.
 Now I know why they are hanging out. They search the scooters for hidden food treasure.  Smart little buggers!

 When's the last time you saw an actual phone booth!?

So, again, I follow the crowd up this hill in search of where to buy my zoo entrance ticket.  I finally see a booth way up ahead but when I approach them realize that it's not the zoo entrance at all so I head back down.  I wander around on these amazing paths and see such beauty.
 These huge structures looked like rock but they are actually part of an ancient coral reef that was on the coast of Taiwan.  The tectonic action has pushed this area up out of the ocean and way up into the creation of this mountain.  They were so fascinating and the geek in me loves this stuff.



 Finally I found out where I was.
 These are directions on how to deal with the monkeys.  On the left was info on how to read the facial expressions of the monkeys so that you don't get attacked.  Me thinks to follow that advice.

 The meandering paths go all around the mountain and then suddenly one opens up and you see the entire city of Kaohsiung.  I wish I could capture the size of this city.  It's BIG!




 There were these great rock formations along the path.

Finally, I found my way to the zoo. Somehow I had passed the entrance on the way UP the hill (I could have saved myself the last few hundred yards of sweat and pain) so I made my way back down and parked closer to the zoo entrance. It seems that everything in this zoo and nature park is uphill...both ways.  I paid my entrance fee, $40NT (just over $1) and began my zoo journey. If only we could pay $1 to visit zoos in the states!

There was this adorable water park where kids were actually swimming. Animal sculptures surrounded the water and here and there I'd see one of these...
 You can't escape the "cute" factor in this country.
 The zoo was okay.  It's not a great zoo and frankly, although I enjoy seeing these majestic animals in person, there's something depressing about seeing them in captivity. What was I thinking going to a zoo to cheer up?  But I also realized that I've been to some incredible zoos in my life - San Diego, Baltimore, National Zoo, Bronx, Lincoln Park and this zoo is nothing like that.  I only lasted about an hour before I made my way to the exit. What was nice was the location and the landscaping.  It was quite beautiful!


 This bird was literally THIS close. 


 There were little seating areas throughout the park.  Adorable!
 
The map had enough English that I could navigate around the zoo.

I was glad to make my way out of the zoo. There were hundreds upon hundreds of people so it was crowded and noisy.  I did not see one other white person.  How is that even possible?!  I felt a bit like one of the animals on exhibit so was glad to get away from the stares and curious expressions. I tell myself I'm getting used to being stared at so much but sometimes it does get a bit uncomfortable.

I got on my bike and flew DOWN the mountain, which felt a bit like flying, and meandered through the area on my journey home.  Like I've mentioned before, you really have to keep your eyes on the road here but I also have learned to look up and scan the area because I'm continually surprised by what I discover.  Here is this little side street....
 ....with typical homes here in Kaohsiung.
 But look at what's next door!

 Imagine having this as your neighbor? 

When I first got here I thought I would never be able to navigate such a massive city and recognize the different streets and street names.  Not only did I get to the zoo and back; I did it without gps.  I am continually amazed at how we adapt. We need to stop being afraid to venture out into the world. There is too much out there to explore and discover.


No comments:

Post a Comment