Saturday, October 11, 2014

A bike ride along the Love River

Woke up early today to take a bike ride along the Love River.  I've biked down the bike path going one way but this morning I decided to take a left instead and bike the other direction, one I hadn't been down before.


It's probably hard to read this map and I'll include a link just in case it doesn't expand when you click on it (Kaohsiung Map).  Anyway, I live south of the Art Museum, #84 on the map, and to the left is Gushan Mountain (better known as Monkey Mountain).  I rode my bike south to one of the many bridges that crosses the river and took a left so I went up and to the right (according to this map) along the river.  I rode all the way to the end of the line up to Tajhong 1st Road and took tons of pictures (of course) along the way.  Notice Lotus Pond north of where I live (#95).  That's where I went last weekend and my school is in that area (not far from #93).

I was on the road before 6:00 because it's cooler in the morning.  It's actually in the mid 70's in the mornings now so that's the time to venture out to get some exercise.  It's still in the mid to upper 80's during the day but the air finally feels a little less humid and oppressive.  Funny thing is, my apartment building has a pool and they drained it and prepared it for "winter" this past weekend. Come on!  It's still way into the 80's during the day!

The roads are quiet in the morning but the paths and parks are teaming with people taking a morning stroll, biking, exercising and working out in groups.
 This was my view crossing the bridge to get onto the bike path.
 The path is beautifully done and changes many times along the way.  There are many little bridges crossing the river, some more elaborate than others.


 You have to cross some major avenues and often there are people selling fruits/veggies, dumplings and other items.  Remember, it's only about 6:00 a.m. and here they are and there were plenty of people stopping to buy.

 You can see people everywhere.  Some parts of the path are "dodge the senior citizen" while other parts I can speed along at a good clip and without a care in the world. Trust me, I rarely get to do that in Kaohsiung because the drivers are INSANE and I fear for my life most of the time.
Little artistic touches - Hungry hippos anyone?

 The light was beautiful this morning. Just when I'm feeling that this is like other cities I've been to before, I'll come across something like this temple peeking through the trees.
 Temples are all around and I love when I'm biking/walking along and I see one.  They are so beautiful and colorful.  Makes me realize that I'm actually living in Asia!  What the!? Sometimes I'm just walking along and I happen to look up and there I'll see the top of an amazing building just down a side street that I would have completely missed.


 Here is one of the many groups of people exercising. I rode past at least 5 large groups of people doing yoga or some other type of exercise.
 There are many places to sit and congregate along the path but one thing that is missing...garbage cans.  There are no garbage cans anywhere in this city.  Yet there is very little trash on the ground and in the parks.  How do they do that?
 Here was a little place where people were going in to light incense and there was the smell of burning money in the air.  Ghost money is burned as an offering to the spirits to ensure that the deceased have lots of good things in the afterlife.  As you can see from this photo, people are dressed for the cooler weather (hahaha). I still haven't worn sleeves since I've been here.

 Here's a closeup of the brazier that was burning money.
 There are homes lining the path and they find such ingenious ways to grow plants.
How many people live in this city.
 Beautiful isn't it?  It is so lush and green here all the time.  Not that long ago this river was completely polluted and the city made a huge effort (in large part because of the mayor) to clean up the city, make these bike trails and change Kaohsiung from a shipping port to a tourist destination.
 Biked past this HUGE building.  It took a bit of hunting down but I found out it is called Tranquil Corner or Da-ai Jing Sih Hall.  It is a Buddhist temple that is part of the Tzu Chi Foundation. 
 This is across the street from the temple.
 Doesn't look that big in the photo but trust me, it's impressive.  You can see people outside and there were men in uniform directing traffic.
 These lanterns were surrounding the temple.  I kept expecting a little fairy or something to pop out. What would be the Chinese equivalent of a fairy?

 There is my neighborhood.  I live in the Gushan District of Kaohsiung.  From what I understand, Kaohsiung is divided into 38 districts.  You can see how big Kaohsiung is from this map. Gushan District is in red. I've only begun to explore this amazing city!

 A temple in one place and modern buildings in others.
 Like I said, traffic is really quiet, especially on Sunday morning.

 This looks like a postcard.  Such a beautiful morning.
 There are places to sit and decorative fountains to enjoy.
I've seen these reflexology stone paths in several locations around the city. I've been known to take my shoes off and walk back and forth along the rounded stones.  

It was such a perfect way to start the day.  It's only 8:00 a.m. now, having my morning cup of tea and ready to face the day.  Life, my friends, is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment