Sunday, December 7, 2014

Kaohsiung Da Dong Art Center

Today was an unexpected day off. I was supposed to be on a hike on the east coast of Taiwan but I had a little accident on my bike a few days ago and twisted my knee. It's doing okay but I thought a 12 km hike along a rocky shore was probably not the best idea. I decided to just focus on getting things done at home.

Around 1:00 I checked my school email and saw that I had an invitation to attend a modern dance performance. I jumped at the chance. I was picked up and we drove about 45 minutes to the Feng Shan District in the southeast part of Kaohsiung.

The Da Dong Art Center contains performance halls, art space and an art library. The architecture is incredible and I was told that this same architect designed the new KAS building. The outside looks like the bottom of hot air balloons that offer great light, places to sit and blocks the sun. It was really dramatic and beautiful.





 This is the blurb about the performance: "Cloud Gate 2 is a dance troupe that you will fall in love with and want to see again and again. Cloud Gate 2 artistic director Cheng Tsung-lung elaborately planned the program for Kaohsiung citizens, in which the full versions of Cloud Gate 2 classic works
are demonstrated. The program includes works such as "LIFE IS ELSEWHERE", choreographed by Wu Kuo-chu, Taiwan's artistic performing legend; "FORESEEN", choreographed by Bulareyaung
Pagarlava, one of the "Ten Outstanding Young People"; and "LIGHT", choreographed by Huang Yi, the first prize winner of Digital Art Performance Award."

This was in the parking garage under the building. I think this should be started in the states.

I truly enjoyed the program and was so honored to be included and invited. It always takes a bit of time to get settled in and find new friends to hang out with when you move to a new place. I feel like it's all happening. Nice feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment