Thursday, April 2, 2015

Tomb Sweeping Day

This weekend is a national holiday in Taiwan called Tomb Sweeping Day or Qingming (pronounced Ching Ming). It happens every year on the 15th day after the spring equinox (April 4 or 5). How do I know it's a holiday? Well, I went to the store today and there were SO many people out. I thought I had mixed up my days and it was the weekend but it's Friday so I checked it out. It's a long holiday weekend for citizens so it's a 4 day weekend. Here are a few images I found online.




I started reading up on the holiday and found so many interesting things about this tradition. Not only is it a time of year that families go to the tombs of their ancestors to clean up and tend to them, but it's a time to be outside to enjoy springtime. Families remember and honor their ancestors, sweep the tombs, offer food, tea, wine and other treats and also burn joss paper as gifts in the afterlife. Tradition has it that you use willow branches to ward off evil spirits as you sweep the tomb.

http://chineseculture.about.com/od/chinesefestivals/a/Tomb-Sweeping-Day.htm

There are so many traditions here that make me think that we have lost our connection to our past in the states. I'm not saying we should live in the past, but looking back, reflecting and honoring our ancestors is a nice way to remind ourselves not only where we come from but to pay homage to those that came before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment